Minerva and Minerva Schools at KGI jointly collect information on our respective websites and during the Minerva Schools at KGI application process.
Effective date: September 12, 2013
Generally speaking and for the purposes of this policy, personal information is: 1) personal identifiers that are used to identify who you are or that are tied to your real identity, like a name, address, email address, government issued identifier, or other unique identifier such as a student ID number, and 2) information that is tied to and stored with those personal identifiers.
Collection of Personal Information
Minerva collects personal information when you visit the Minerva website, when you create a Minerva account, and when you submit an application for admission to Minerva Schools at KGI. In addition, we may also receive information about you from partners, educational institutions, or other third party sources that we may combine with other personal information we may hold about you.
Minerva may collect information you provide on the Minerva website like your name, email address, and other contact and personal information.
In addition, we receive information that your computer or device automatically sends to us like your IP address, a date and timestamp of your visit, a referring URL of the website you were visiting prior to coming to our website, and information about the type of browser, operating system, and device you are using to access our site.
Minerva Schools at KGI Application
Minerva is currently partnered with the KGI and provides services to KGI (the Keck Graduate Institute) for the Minerva Schools at KGI. During this partnership, Minerva and KGI jointly collect and share personal information about applicants to the Minerva Schools at KGI for admissions, administrative, reporting, and operational purposes.
The Minerva Schools at KGI application is multi-step process where you’ll be asked to provide information about yourself to help us evaluate your application for admission. Different applicants will likely provide different kinds of information, so what is collected from each applicant will vary. No two applications or applicants will be the same.
The following are the general types of information we will collect during the application process:
- Basic personal identifiers and contact information such as your name, address, phone number, date of birth, and email address that you provide to us. In addition, we may ask for gender, race, ethnicity, disability status, and other information to better understand our applicant pool and to allow us to accommodate our students’ needs in their educational and living environments.
- Applicant account information like a username and password to allow you to enter, modify, and submit your application to us online. Information about your past educational background and performance along with information about which programs or schools you’ve attended. This will include information such as your academic institution or program name and address, transcripts from those schools or educational programs, metrics of academic achievement such as grade point average, class rank, and test scores, and recommendations and assessments from teachers, counselors, school administrators, and other trusted adults, mentors, or peers. In addition to the information you provide to us, we may independently verify information you provide or seek additional information about your past educational achievement to support your application materials.
- Information to better understand your educational potential, readiness, interests, creativity, cognitive ability, and personality. This, too, will vary by applicant. This may include written, verbal, or online assessments, interviews, personal statements, video, audio or other media you provide, and other assessments.
- Payment information for application fees. Minerva may request credit card or other payment information in connection with application fees associated with the application process. Minerva does not store credit card numbers or other financial information, instead we use a payment processing partner to facilitate this on our behalf.
Use of Personal Information
Personal information that is collected from you during your visits to the Minerva website is used to operate and improve the design and usability of our sites, to respond to inquiries, and to provide information to you that is requested from us. If you apply to Minerva Schools at KGI, information about your visits to our website and the Minerva Schools at KGI website will be combined with information contained in your application materials.
Personal information that is collected from you during the application process for Minerva Schools at KGI is used first and foremost to evaluate you as a candidate for admission. In addition, personal information provided in your application may be used to determine your eligibility for scholarships and other awards.
We may also look at application information in the aggregate, without personal identifiers, to better understand characteristics of our applicant pool in any given year or over time. We do this to improve the application process.
Finally, contact information included in your application may be used to communicate with you about your application and about Minerva. Some of these communications we deem to be essential to the application process and are required.
Sharing and Disclosure
Minerva shares personal information of our website visitors and Minerva Schools at KGI applicants when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
- We share information with educational and administrative partners as necessary to provide educational and other services.
- We respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
Minerva may share aggregated or non-personally identifiable information from Minerva applications publicly and with our partners or other organizations.
Minerva may from time to time employ vendors, contractors, and other 3rd party service providers. These service providers work for us under confidentiality agreements and may have access to your personal information in order to process or evaluate application materials or provide other services to Minerva such as fulfillment, billing, direct mailings and student communications, or to perform other similar functions.
In addition, Minerva uses analytics service providers, like Google Analytics, to better understand usage patterns on our own services. These providers collect information across Minerva websites on our behalf. Minerva uses these service providers to better understand how people use our services and so that we can improve the design and usability of our products. We do not engage in "tracking" users outside of our service and website. Consistent with this, we do not take any action when a browser sends us a DNT (do-not-track) signal.
Access, Correction, and Retention
During the application process you can access, edit, and delete content you’ve uploaded as part of your application. However, once you finalize and submit application content at the conclusion of each step, it is no longer editable.
If you need to request correction of information that Minerva has about you that is no longer accessible to you directly online, you may contact Minerva to make your request.
Minerva retains application data for record keeping and analysis purposes but may, at its sole discretion, delete it for any reason at any time and is under no obligation to maintain it.
Minerva takes reasonable measures to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. We take the following steps to help keep your data secure:
- We encrypt data transmissions using SSL technology.
- We have reasonable measures in place to protect the physical security of records we store on our premises.
- We restrict access to personal information to Minerva employees, contractors, and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us or as part of their job requirements, and who are subject to confidentiality or employment agreements.
Minerva will never ask you for financial information or for your account password in an email or phone call. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse.
International Transfers and Data Storage
Children Under 13
Minerva Schools at KGI currently does not accept online applications from applicants under the age of 13 or knowingly collect information from users on our site who are under 13.
If a parent or guardian becomes aware that their child who is under 13 has provided us with personal information without their consent, they should contact us. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information in an application submitted online, we will delete such information.
If you are a parent of a student under the age 13 who wishes to apply to Minerva Schools at KGI, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Minerva Schools at KGI
1145 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94103